Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Cute Boutique Look-Alike Coat!



So I was looking online
for a dressy coat for winter and all the ones I like cost $140. One really caught my eye. It was a ruffled coat with tulle underneath. It was so beautiful...but the price was not. So I decided to look into how I could make one myself and it turned out fantastic! 


First thing I did was stop to Rue 21 and get this coat for $34.99. (Keep in mind that you can do this with any color coat and tulle.)


Next, I went to Joann Fabrics and bought 2 yards of black shiny tulle ($1.99 a yard) and some white thread to match the coat. 
 
To start the coat, measure out the length of the bottom of the coat (adding about an inch or two to account for some ruffling). 


Then, cut the tulle to the length of the coat and about six inches tall. 


I used two layers of tulle to begin with. Take the tulle and lay it out on the bottom of the coat how you want it (I wanted 3 inches sticking out under the coat for the first layer). Begin sewing the tulle along the seam of the coat. 

 
Sew the tulle up the side first, then start sewing along the bottom seam. 

 
Sew all the way across the bottom of the coat until you reach the other side. Sew up the other side. You should now have two layers of tulle sewn across the bottom with 3 inches of tulle sticking out under the coat. 

Next, trim the tulle to the seam. 


Now, add more layers of tulle to darken and thicken it. I used 4 more layers and had them stick out a little longer than the first layer. The first layer stuck out 3 inches, this layer will stick out 5 inches. 

 
Sew these layers just like the first layers. Trim to the seam when finished. 

When finished with adding tulle to the bottom, add a tulle flower pin (you can make one or buy one from Joanne Fabrics for $4.99). 

 
And you're done! 


A cute boutique look-alike for around $40!



Xoxo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment